Security and Safety Policy
Grand Canadian Steampunk Exposition 2016
Security & Safety Policy
These Policies shall be in effect for the duration of The Grand Canadian Steampunk Exposition (GCSE) at all designated GCSE functions and locations.
1.VENUE, CITY, COUNTY, PROVINCIAL, and FEDERAL POLICY and LAWS: Individuals are reminded that the GCSE conforms and abides by all Venue, City, County, Provincial, and Federal Policies and Laws. Due to insurance, liability, safety, and by choice at the discretion of the GCSE Organization Committee, some GCSE policies may be further restrictive than those specified by the Venue, City, County, Province, and Federal Policy and Laws.
2. HARASSMENT & ALTERCATIONS: Any form of harassment or altercation, including but not limited to verbal or physical between guests, participants, volunteers, or any staff member (event or site) will NOT be tolerated and will be subject to immediate resolution at the discretion of the GCSE Access Team or designee thereof. Any incidents involving a physical altercation will be immediately turned over to local law enforcement.
3. WEAPONS: Individuals are prohibited from possessing functional firearms, explosives or items designated as functional weapons by GCSE. Any individual found in possession of a concealed weapon will be reported to local law enforcement and ejected from GCSE regardless of the individual’s permit status or credentials.
4. WEAPON LIKE PROPS: Weapon like props are to be at all times sheathed, holstered or slung, unloaded, inert or otherwise rendered nonfunctional and never used in a provoking, harassing or threatening manner. Carrying or transporting a weapon like prop outside, from or between venues is done at your own risk and should be preferably cased and/or transported inside a vehicle. Due to safety and legal concerns individuals with ‘deactivated’ firearms, realistic looking or replica weapons, or any item otherwise designated or deemed unsafe regardless of whether it conforms to policy or the ‘letter of the law’ will be considered on a case by case basis. Should any individual be found in violation of policy, or found to be under the influence carrying a weapon like prop, the GCSE Access Team reserves the right to require the individual to comply with the above conditions or direct the guest to remove the item from the premises or the GCSE Access Team may confiscate the item for the duration of the event. **If you are concerned that your weapon like prop may be viewed as a weapon or inadmissible please [email protected] as soon as possible for a preliminary review based on the current policy. This preliminary review does not constitute actual approval during the event in case policy should change but should mitigate anything overly questionable. **
5. CREDENTIALS: Any individual present may be asked to present valid credentials at any time:
1. Required: Valid Convention Credentials (ticket, pass, badge, bracelet, etc.) Lost Guest credentials can be replaced at registration for a small additional cost. This is to assure access to only those that have purchased credentials or are otherwise attached to the event.
2. Requested/Required: Valid Province/State Issued I.D. or Driver’s License, Country Issued Passport, or School I.D. For administrative purposes in the event that persona, character or assumed name is not the legal name of the individual and f or the purchase and consumption of alcoholic beverages (mandated by law 19+).
3. Recommended/Required: Medical or Legal documentation. In the event of medical emergency or legal necessity to have on your person.
4. Optional: Any other information that would assist the GCSE Access Team or other authorities in the case of a situation or emergency such as accommodation information, in case of emergency contacts, etc.
6. ENSEMBLES: The GCSE will never tell you exactly what to or not to wear while attending our event. However, when choosing your ensemble(s) and accessories please consider the age, sensibilities, and safety of your fellow guests as this is a family friendly event. During evening hours the family friendly atmosphere may be somewhat relaxed, but please keep in mind that there is still a ‘time and place’ for some ensembles and accessory choices. Ensembles or accessories that are out of ‘time or place’, which present a safety concern or are otherwise inadmissible, will be addressed at the discretion of the GCSE Organizing Committee. The GCSE Access Team reserves the right to work with the guest to comply with the above conditions, direct the guest to remove the safety or inadmissible concern or in extreme cases confiscate items that pose a safety concern for the duration of the event.
7. USE OF ILLEGAL SUBSTANCES/SMOKING/DRINKING: Individuals using illegal substances of any kind as defined by the Province of Ontario and/or the Government of Canada will be immediately turned over to Local Law Enforcement. Individuals of legal age to smoke by law 19+ (as of date of event) may do so only in outdoor areas (i.e. not under any tents or inside any buildings). This includes all tobacco and any e-cigarette products. Individuals of legal age to drink by law 19+ (as of date of event) may do so in designated areas or your private room at the hotel. Consuming alcoholic beverages from unsanctioned containers is not permitted anywhere on the premise in conjunction with the site’s liquor law policy. The GCSE asks that guests that drink do so in moderation and enjoy responsibly and do not overindulge to the point of incident. Individuals found to be over-intoxicated or a danger to themselves or others may be subject to but not limited to:
1. Being warned to reduce the rate of consumption of alcoholic beverages.
2. Declined further service by event servers or hosts.
3. Alcoholic Beverages being confiscated and disposed of.
4. Assisted to their accommodations for their safety.
5. Referred to Local Authorities in excessive circumstances.
8. SEXUAL ACTIVITY: Overt consensual sexual activity in public spaces will not be tolerated as this is a family friendly event. This does not restrict ‘Public Acts or Displays of Affection’. The GCSE asks that you keep in mind the age and sensibilities of your fellow guests, and that there can be a ‘time and place’ for such acts. Non-consensual sexual activity will be immediately turned over to Local Law Enforcement. And emergency contact number will be printed on the back of every badge and posted in every washroom on site.
9. PROPERTY DAMAGE OR THEFT: Any property damage or theft will not be tolerated. Individuals will be immediately turned over to Local Law Enforcement.
10. ISSUES NOT SPECIFICALLY COVERED: The following items are not specifically covered in the above policy outline. The GCSE reserves the right to add, change or amend policy as necessary and is the final arbitrator on all issues.
1. Litter: Please pick up after yourself as there are trash and recycling containers throughout the event.
2. No recording devices are to be used during performances by any of the event’s entertainers without the express permission of the affected entertainer.
3. No Pets allowed.
4. Accredited Service Animals are allowed in all areas of the event.
5. No Laser Pointers of any kind will be allowed.